Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Lucky One

Ladies, just checking in to share my horror.  (Baby is still an eater and a sleeper, and a little angel.)

I have developed a case of postpartum PUPPP.  It's a skin condition of unknown cause, but the dermatologist said a theory is that I'm having an allergic reaction to cells my baby left in my body.  It's incredibly ugly, so itchy that I have literally scratched parts of my skin off (think bed bugs, if you've ever been so unfortunate, but the itch is everywhere instead of confined to bites), and it's anyone's guess how long it hangs around.

PUPPP usually strikes pregnant women.  Mine didn't hit until one week after delivery; the dermatologist said I'm just "lucky"--postpartum cases are rare, but do happen.

They've got me on a steroid cream that's supposed to help the rash and the itch.  Rash appears to be improving (or at least, it has stopped spreading).  The itch...on and off.

Wish me luck.

Alula

1 comment:

Munchkin said...

Wow! And might I add, ouch! I hope you are feeling better, and it is completely gone, soon. I can't wait to get to hold the little guy! He is amazingly adorable. I am thrilled he eats well for you too. You are overall one very lucky Mama!