Friday, April 25, 2008

Mr. Q stole my Identity

Mr. Q stole my Identity! Well not really but almost! As you all know Mr. Q and I ripped off the bandage, and tied the knot. Then before I know it I'm changing my name! The name given to me at birth!
I have heard horror stories about the changing of the name process. Something a kin to having your legs slowly eaten by ravines goats! Alas I find my self a Army wife and changing my name appeared easer than filling out all the Army paper work that says I have a different name than my husband. As luck would have it no one I talked to was able to tell me what I had to do and what order I had to do it in to make the change. So now that I know I'm going to wright it down so other people can benefit from my hard work.

Step one!
Find your SS card, and Birth Certificate (these will be your best friend)
Make sure you have your drivers license and most importantly a copy of your marriage license. (you will be asked to show this every ware so be sure to get more than one copy from the city)

Step two!

(re-check to make sure you have everything before you leave the house)

Go to the bank and get some cash in bills $20 and under!

Apparently the DMV is picky.

Step three!

Go to the DMV with all you papers and a book cause your going to be there a for a bit. (remember to say “yes” to organ and tissue donation!)

They will give you a temp paper for you license, keep you old drivers license! As you will be asked to show it every ware even though its not longer valid.

Keep it even after you get your new one so if you forget to change something you can show them both Drivers license.

Step four!

The SS office. (insert your favorite horror movie’s music here)

There is a form you need to fill out to apply for a new SS card. Unless your in there computer system. I’m not sure how one gets into there computer system but I just I’m just a lucky duck because I was. I also managed to make it to the office when no one else was there. It was amazing! I walked in and there was three people there two behind the desk and a security guard. The security guard gets up and hands me a number. O the Irony!

Step five!

Go to the bank and get all you information changed over.

Warning: I had my credit ran to day at the bank and it came up as fraud because it has not make it to the credit bureau that my name has changed.

2 comments:

Death of Houseplants said...

Also, don't forget to tell your pharmacy and doctor's office, otherwise your prescriptions will still be filled under your maiden name for quite a while.

*is glad she's still single, and rather attached to her last name at that*

Alula Borealis said...

(cringes...hand reaching for red correcting pencil...)

We will talk about your spelling later!

But seriously thanks for posting this--I'm going to have to do this eventually and I think i'll need you to hold my hand.