Monday, August 4, 2008

50 floppies + 2 hours = 1 CD

Red Sunflower in my garden!

I begged Mr. B to come with me to see Mama Mia! this weekend--he's a fan of that era of music, but thought the movie looked too "girly." Having seen it on stage before, I knew he would like it--afterwards, he said "it was the best movie he had seen in some time." Ladies, you all MUST see this movie--it's a comedy (like pee your pants funny) based on the music of ABBA (the music came first, then someone decided to make a play that fit the songs).

Over the last few weeks I found myself rooting through my old floppy disks trying to find older versions of a book I'm working on. This weekend Q and I had the sickening realization that the oldest desktop we own (between the two of us) didn't possess a floppy drive to read any of these disks. In horror, I realized that my USB floppy drive is the last one, and when it broke, all the information on my many lovely disks, a span of at least 10 years of my writer's life, would be lost forever.

Today I sat down and compiled them--all of them--into one comprehensive CD. I still have 3 Mac formatted disks which I couldn't read, and some of the file extensions were obsolete and therefore the data was unsaveable, but I managed to save probably 98%.

*Grumble* Someday I'll have to copy all of it again to some media that hasn't even been invented yet...
Alula

No comments: