Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ladies, I could use some help here

Okay, I did something stupid. My project list has gotten a little out of hand. In terms of crafty projects only I have:

~ A sweater
~ A pair of Socks
~ 2 battle axes (I will present pictures when they are done)
~ *New* Cork Board Project

See, my mom and I were at the big kitchy-crap place (It's like Hobby Lobby merged with a home decor store) and I found some 6"x6" cork board squares. I grabed a couple packages and so did my mom. We were going to work together on making myself and my sister each a half-cork-board/half-fabric-covered-sytrofoam board system. After we got fabric at Hancock's, we had some creative differences.

So, we decided to have a contest, judged mostly on how put together and finished the board is, and less on creativity.

Materials so far:
-12 6"x6" cork board squares
- 1/2 yard of three different fabrics (pictured above)
-ribbon
-lime green rick-rack
-hot glue sticks, but no hot glue gun

My plan is to make a square board that is 5 squares by 5 squares (total of 25 squares). 13 will be fabric covered, 12 cork board. I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to look for styrofoam to make the fabric covered squares, and maybe some more decorating accessories. And elastic. Because I want to make the fabric covered ones (I guess they're...) French style message boards. That's the type that has the ribbon go in an x across the square and is held taught and you can slip things under the ribbons. And I will mount them on something and frame it with some molding and then paint the same sort of spirals on the molding.

What do I mount this sort of stuff to?
How do I mount it?
What do I use to attach fabric to styrofoam/other sorts of foam?
Where's my hot glue gun?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Alula Borealis said...

No clue on most of these questions. I recommend finding one at a local store to examine the construct and then modeling on that. Good Luck!

Q said...

How big our the squares?