Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Freeze

Today is the last hours of summer and the first of fall--and it's frickin' freezing out!

Wonderful!

As tends to happen to me when fall rolls around, I'm experiencing my annual moment of clarity in direction. Several weeks ago an opportunity came up at work (still in the air--a possibility and not a certainty) where my temporary position might become a career position if I got a PhD, which tuition costs would be reimbursed on.

So for weeks now I have been agonizing over whether to do it or not, and if I did, what PhD program I would go into. I thought about doing one in Computer Science for the bankability factor, but the idea that they would probably make me get a (3rd, good God) Master's along the way gave me ulcers. I am so ready to be done with on-campus school and beyond ready to be in the workforce full time.

I considered Geography, which is the preference of my workplace, but it just doesn't seem to have many cross-field applications. I considered linguistics, but my program there is not making me happy lately--no one is available to meet with me about completing my program. I considered doing more information management and library science, but what's it good for if you're not going to teach?

Well, yeserday I just knew. I just knew--it's information management and library science. When the time rolls around and if it's still possible, that's what I'm doing. It's good for me to build a career where I am, and will give me a leg up over other librarians in the future if I were to ever leave (...and I could always teach at a university). Plus, it's a lower stress career than others I have considered, so more time to focus on my writing.

No comments: