Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Technological Updates

The patch for the Nook is here!  The patch for the Nook is here!

(And there was much rejoicing!)

The new patch for the Nook came out yesterday, and that was my evening.  The patch installed flawlessly, and then I happily went about investigating and utilizing the new organizational tools for my collection.  Previous to this patch, one could not sort downloaded books by genre or self-organize them in any fashion because there were no folders within the library--everything was listed about willy-nilly, with only a few sorting options (sort by date, by title, etc.).

Now, I can search for things, I can put books onto "shelves", and I can sort my shelves.  Most importantly, the shelves work more like tags than discrete folders--I can list a Fantasy/Adventure story on both my "Fantasy" and "Adventure" shelves instead of just one or the other.  I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that shelves created in either "My Documents" or "My Library" carry over to each other!  HUZZAH!  I cannot express my joy as a librarian to be able to sit on my couch (and later my bed) creating categories for all of my books and then going through them and putting them into the newly created categories.  I can now find my Horrors, Manuals, Scientific Articles, Adventure, Romance, Work Related, School Related, Science Fiction, Cookbooks, Short Stories, etc., in discretely organized locations!  And I will say it again: HUZZAH!

The update also fiddled the power management (better battery life), page turn speed (noticeably faster), took the web browser out of beta (now official), and granted syncing of reading locations across the available apps, and password protection (prevents unauthorized purchases from the device and can be enabled to lock on idle).  Barnes & Noble, I have one further request for you: my shelves are still distinct to either the Documents or Library.  Can you patch this so that when I display content from the "Science Fiction" shelf, the content from both the Library and my Documents is shown together?

Also, I finally finished downloading the latest patch for World of Warcraft, and a video played where dragon popped out of the middle of Azeroth, causing much destruction (yes, I know all about Cataclysm and resulting natural disasters).  He's now perched atop the burning wreckage of Stormwind on my log in screen and I can't log in because it's Tuesday Update Time!  AHHH!  When is Azeroth scheduled to change for the new game content?  I am going to miss old Azeroth.  I hope I like the changes enough so as not to be put off by them.

Alula

No comments: