Sunday, July 7, 2013

Almost killed my bamboo

Gardening--indoors and out--has been the focus of my week.  My mom got me a Captain Kirk hosta a couple of weeks ago, and on the 4th of July I went and got two other hosta cultivars to keep it company and planted them in the backyard.  I also added some zebra grass, a red lupine, and a heucherella.

We re-seeded the bald patches in the backyard, and I am hopeful that the grass makes a recovery.  I think Mr. Borealis has been trimming it too short, contributing to the over-drying and yellowing.

Indoor gardening today included moving my giant coleus from my kitchen to the outdoors; I kept a clipping to grow indoors in case the whole thing dies on me, but so far so good.

I re-potted my ever-growing jade plant.  While attempting to switch the jade and my Norfolk Island Pine, I accidentally knocked over the bamboo plant that my mom got me when I turned 16.  It was in this cute little planter shaped like bamboo with a mama and baby panda climbing on it, and I broke part of the planter.  : (

Majorly upsetting, to say the least.  I spent two hours this afternoon trying to gently remove my bamboo from the broken planter without destroying the roots or further breaking the planter (still salvageable as a pen or brush cup, but it will definitely never function as a planter again).  The roots had crowded every inch of the tiny planter, which makes sense, as they've been growing in there for 13 years.

I am anxiously hoping that the bamboo survives in its new home.  It will be a sad day if it dies, as it's the oldest plant in my indoor garden.

I have clippings available if anyone wants any of the following, which would be easy to re-root:

- Coleus: easy to grow indoors and out, and difficult to kill.  Mine is a maroon, green, and tan variety.

- Spider plant:  I currently have several babies off of the main plant that need new homes.  Grow indoors, shade tolerant.

- Jade plant: grow indoors, needs sun.

Alula

No comments: