Monday, August 31, 2009

Jerky Time

Well I got my birthday/Christmas present from Mr Man already its a commercial dehydrator for me to make elk and deer jerky. I also dry fruit as well. Its a huge machine that takes up a lot of room but I am very excited to get it. So I'm going to try to sell home made jerky at this community farmers market and yard sale the area I'm living is having in September. I will include a disclaimer card that this is home made and i try my best to make it safe but nothing is perfect basically covering my butt you know keep refrigerated and use within one week or freeze. It's my newest adventure in home business. So if anyone wants some jerky just let me know and I'll send it out, and yes its safe i feed it to my son and he loves it, but then again he eats dirt and seems to like it also. I spent the weekend at my mothers house because her b-day is next week and she needed some help because she fell last week and put a nice gash in her knee she even went to the ER which tells you how bad it was when she voluntarily went to a hospital ER, but she is doing pretty well all things considering. My ex step dad and his mother were around as well little man didn't seem too impressed with either one. But here is the kicker those two have pretty much been ignoring me for the last 2 years and then i tell them my idea for jerky they both give me 150 dollars each to help me out with my business and are saying how proud they are of me with everything I've done. but i haven't done anything I can't even keep a job for a full consecutive year and they are proud of me? Basically they are confusing me to no end plus they were being nice not something i used to. Not even a snide comment from ex step dad about my bastard child. And I make back home and my new dehydrator is waiting for me its pretty, i just have to get the meat ready to get dried that's a 2 day process alone. I'm trying to clear out our freezer a because Saturday was the start of archery elk season and i still have meat from last year. Well is will be fun, i sure am learning to cook a lot of wild game. Well everyone smile and look forward to tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alula Borealis said...

Fuzzy, I won't lie to you--your step dad has gotten a little creepy in recent years. I try to avoid him a little because sometimes he says stuff when we're all hanging out that makes me think he thinks he's like 30 years younger and trying to flirt with us or be "cool" or something. I'll give him a little credit and say he's going through a midlife crisis and he thinks it's okay to wander around town without a shirt on (cringe--maybe someone out there his age is impressed; I think he needs to cover that up like the rest of us).

But he is your step dad. And I think despite his weirdness over the last 4 years (thereabouts), he has always been proud of you. We've all been hit hard into emotional instability given that marriages were broken, children born, and jobs and security lost.

Maybe you haven't been able to keep a job lately because everyone has had trouble finding work? And all the jobs suck in your area? And you finally said enough was enough, and you told the food service business to shove it because you deserve better? Be proud, kiddo! I'm proud of you too for finding a way to hopefully make a few bucks until worth-while jobs return.

And if it means anything, I have looked into licensure to start a business, and I know what licenses you would need. (food is tricky bc you need an up-to-code facility to prepare in, but hey, if it sells like hot cakes it might be worth looking into, right?)

Fuzzy said...

good idea