Monday, May 12, 2008

Home Fries

Hey Y'all. So most of you know that Mr. Borealis and I save a buck wherever we can, and that recently includes cutbacks on the food budget. I am currently feeding the two of us on $100 a month, and part of doing that is cutting back on the expense of eating out.

I created this recipe to feed my craving for french fries.

You start with a pile of potatoes. I use potatoes in a lot of my recipes because they are so cheap; when I buy more than I can use and they start to grow little eyes all over them, then it's time to turn them into fries and freeze them. (Raw potatoes don't exactly freeze well.)


First, cut all the eyes and blemishes off/out of the spuds. Then wash and then peel all of them. As an experienced peeler I like to do this in front of the television watching a movie I've seen a hundred times but still love (this way I can enjoyably listen to the audio while focusing on peeling potatoes and not fingers). After peeling the potatoes, they go into a bowl of cold water to keep them from discoloring.After all the potatoes are peeled, I like to start the oil on the stove. I use a deep cooking pot, though I recommend a frier if you happen to have one. It's important that the oil is deep enough to cover several fries completely, and that the pot is tall enough that oil overspill won't be a problem. The oil should be heated to about 320 degrees.

While you wait for the oil to heat, you can cut your fries. I use a large Santoku knife to cut the potatoes in half and then into large steak fries. The fries then go into another bowl of cold water to prevent discoloring.

The cut fries then go into the heated oil about 10-15 at a time and are fried until golden brown--as these fries are freezer-bound, I tend to slightly overcook for better crispiness. Use a metal kitchen utensil to lower the fries into the oil (Note: LOWER--do not DROP the fries in, as hot splashing oil is bad for the skin!). They stay in for about 5 minutes until golden brown, then use a metal utensil to get them back out and put them into a flat holding container lined with paper towels to absorb extra oil. Salt them immediately. As more fries are added, another layer of paper towel can be put down on top of the fries for additional oil absorption.

Wait for the fries to cool, and then put them into a gallon-size plastic bag and write the date on the front in permanent marker. The fries will keep in the freezer for up to three months and are an excellent substitute for fast food or store bought fries. Reheat in the oven.

After the oil has cooled completely, you can filter and save it for reuse the next time you have surplus potatoes or other fry work.

For a tasty spin on this recipe, you can create a simple batter using flour, water, and spices to taste. Batter your fries just prior to frying them (this makes for EXTRA crispy fries); if you do this be sure to lower in one fry at a time or the batter will cause them to stick together.

Thrifty and tasty,

Alula

3 comments:

Q said...

are they liberty fries?

Alula Borealis said...

Well we'll have to see who wins the election to answer that question, won't we?

Q said...

I guess we will!