Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Adding to our Family

Firstly, Q, I know for a fact that you are not unintelligent. And you are not lazy. What you are is freakin' stubborn. Use a spell checker and proofread like a normal person and YES, you can change it overnight. (Oh, and now I get the topic tag...)



Second, I have a big announcement. A few months ago I had a dream that Mr. B and I walked into a shelter to adopt a cat, immediately bonded to different cats, and walked out of the shelter with two cats. Q can back me up that this dream did happen. I woke up in a cold sweat thinking "Thank God! It was just a dream--we would never be that impractical!"





Well. Guess what happened on Sunday?

No? Need a hint?




We went to a shelter just to look, and we walked past a room full of kittens. Like 10-12 of them, and Mr. B pointed at one and said "That's the kind of pattern cat I like." And I was all like, "Oh! They have a little black one--isn't she cute?" So we ask, and one of the shelter workers lets us in to play with uber kittens.

And then Mr. B is like "You know, I would hate to just get one and have it be lonely all day..."

Then we left--without kittens. We needed to get the heck out of there before something crazy stupid happened. We looked at kittens at two other places, and they were just as cute and friendly, and then we went back to the shelter. We interviewed 4 kittens one-on-one, and then walked around the donut-shaped cat room for a while, chatting...

And then something crazy stupid happened. And we haven't regretted it since.

This is Gretal, and she's 2 months old:

And this is Count, and he's 3 months old:

They came with the Bob Barker treatment, chipped, with a full month of pre-paid insurance, and with 2 months of food and very cheap startup supplies. They came named, too, but after talking about them all day we were kind of already attached to the shelter names. Count is now our resident urban tiger and trouble maker; Gretal is our resident baby kitty and cuddle bug. Gretal likes computers; Q has already taught her the finer points of World of Warcraft. Count likes climbing things with his claws; I'm pretty sure he thinks his name is "NO!"

But we love them both.

Alula

5 comments:

Munchkin said...

Now all you need would be a couple little kids to play with your little kitties. =)

Alula Borealis said...

My kitties are my kids. And they don't mind it when I lock them in the basement at bedtime and while I'm at work--can't do that with kids!

(It's a nice basement and they already like being down there because it's "their room"--no one freak out.)

Seriously I don't need kids. I already have 9 kids in the next generation of my family and friends. There is a surplus of tiny sticky loud people in my life. I don't need more; I have enough.

Munchkin said...

Lol you can't be mad for me teasing a little. I know well how you feel and it was just too hard to resist saying that.

Death of Houseplants said...

They are so cute! Welcome to the world of being owned by cats.

Munchkin said...

How true DoHP... how true. =)