Saturday, May 22, 2010

Scam

Yep that at home position was a check cashing scam No I didn't loose any money I know a few more things than that. It was interesting how they went about it and how far they took it. Definitely new on the game and not sure what they were doing. I kept all the stuff I got from them and reported them to the federal online scam reporting agency and my local sheriff. I don't know if they will be doing anything but I had to at least try to make sure no one actually falls for this and looses money. I was being watchful and knew what to look for some people wont ex specially in my area. Well nothing lost and nothing gained, but I wanted to see how for they would take it.

1 comment:

Alula Borealis said...

Bummer.

These things always seem to strike when they know a person really wants a job. I almost got pulled in on one a year and a half ago when I was looking (admittedly desperately) to get out of the dog doo business. I applied for a virtual assistant position for a place that wanted someone with a BA and could speak both English and French for a business based out of Maine that supposedly traveled frequently to Quebec. I emailed back and forth with someone with very poor English skills before hitting a dead end when I refused to give them my account number "for direct deposit of pay". (Fuzzy is now realizing why I freaked out over text message when she said she found an online assistant position...lol, they almost suckered me in.)

This place had me fill out interview questions and the whole nine yards. I wasn't even thinking scam at the time because I figured a scam wouldn't narrow the pool to bilingual BA holders, but I guess I was wrong. The second I refused to give up my account number whoever it was stopped emailing me back and then 2 weeks later the email address went dead.

They are getting clever.