Monday, May 3, 2010

Ulcers, Job Interviews, and Quiet Babies

He went off of his prednisone about two weeks ago, and weird symptoms have been popping up ever since. He sleeps 16+ hours a day and is still tired. He has no appetite but he's always thirsty. And he's really nauseas at night, and sometimes has to get up to vomit (sometimes more than once, and the anti-nausea medication doesn't help).

Worried? Yes, I am. The doctor thinks he has stomach ulcers. I think he may have an adrenal deficiency since stopping the pred. And for reasons of his untimely success, he's having trouble getting in to the doctor.

Today he has a job interview for a field economist position. He also got a call back for an examiner position with the government last Friday, and returned the call this morning. They want to fly him out of state for the final interview this coming Friday (this position is local to our state, but involves a good deal of travel to neighboring states--it's kind of the job he has now, but at the federal level instead of the state level). He also has a blood test this afternoon.

So between taking most of the day today for interviews and blood testing, and taking Friday to fly out of state for an interview, he's hitting a time crunch with his job. Next week isn't much better, but he *needs* to get in to the doctor if he's having some kind of complication here. I told him to call his doctor with the new symptoms--I'm hoping he actually does it.

Also, we attended the birthday party of our niece this weekend. It was held at one of those giant indoor playgrounds, which I remember as being totally awesome when I was a kid. The kids (probably around twenty of them) had a great time, and the whole family was there. I didn't want to let Mr. B come with me, but he had done nothing but sleep all weekend and he wanted to get out of the house. I insisted that indoor playgrounds were cess pools of bacteria and viruses, and I didn't want him going to one without an immune system. He insisted he would use a lot of hand sanitizer. So we went, and had a great time, and then halfway through the party I turn around and see this:

That's my husband. Holding my cousin's 9-month-old, cheerful, quiet, perfect baby that never cries. And they're both laughing and giggling and having a great time. Then my cousin comes back and takes the baby back from him, and he looks all forlorn until she leaves to go down the slide with her 3-year-old (also a very well-mannered, quiet, sweet child) and gives him back the baby. He's all smiles the rest of the day when he gets to play with the baby--he's tickling her chin and "booping" her nose and letting her hold onto his fingers so she can stand up and trying to get her to crawl to him.

Oh boy--not before the PhD, if ever. I swear, he does this just to get on my nerves.

Alula

3 comments:

Fuzzy said...

does that make my kid not perfect because he is never quiet? Just joking he is a challenge but I love him anyway even if no one else does.

Alula Borealis said...

Quiet AND perfect, to clarify--not perfect BECAUSE quiet! (<--though this does constitute a bonus in my book.)

All babies are perfect as long as they are not living in my body or my house.

Munchkin said...

Lol... Alula you may still beat me to children at this rate. I'll win that 5 dollars somehow! =P