Friday, September 10, 2010

24 more reasons I love my job

A couple of weeks ago, my boss came to me with a onerous task; he needed to put together a literature review.  For anyone unsure of what a literature review is, it's where you go through a large number of recent publications and cherry pick the ones that seem the most interesting or relevant to a field, and then report them in the form of a bibliographic list.  My boss had made his review, and put it together--it took him more than 30 minutes per page to format all of the citations correctly (and at a length of 20 pages, that ain't no small feat).

He turned it in to the reviewers, who told him they didn't use that citation style, meaning he needed to reformat every single citation.  I got cc'd on the email, and immediately cringed--formatting is the kind of thing one can only do for 2 hours at a run before getting s truly horrific migraine, and they needed the reformat very quickly.

Literally seconds after this email arrives, I get another one from my boss: "If you do this for me, there's a quantity of your favorite beverage in it for you."

I roll my eyes, because he's my boss, and he hired me to do this kind of boring crap anyways, and even though his lit reviews technically aren't part of my job description, "miscellaneous projects as needed" is.  So I shoot him one back and say no problem.

I got the lit review done in time, with a lot of Excedrin.  Time goes on.

Then, today, my boss pops into my cubical and says "Great job on the lit review, and thanks!  There's a case of Monster in the back of my truck.  Don't forget to grab it before you leave tonight!"

And by case, he means a case.  As in 24 cans of Monster, which I totally thought he was joking about.  Good Golly!  Best Boss in the World!!!!!

This is a bonus system I can live with!
Alula

1 comment:

Munchkin said...

Caffeine away Alula! And you'll be flying by at the speed of light with that many Monsters. Suggestion: Keep this boss happy, he knows how to reward! =)