Monday, September 27, 2010

Frogs, Twisted Metal, and Maine

Update on frogs: the next day, two more frogs died.  I swapped out more of the water, and the last frog looked fine.  I was really hoping he was going to make  it.  Then, today, I discovered him dead.  I don't know what happened, but it is an incredibly sad moment for me; I've had those frogs since my early teen years.

Mr. B and I drove out to Emporia, Kansas, over the weekend to attend a class weekend.  He spent the three nights before the trip trying to fix up his car with his dad because there are several problems he's let go for a while (the catalytic converter, some small parts in need of replacing, and the noise it makes when he turns the wheel, just to name a few).  He managed to replace the small parts, but they didn't have time for the "big" stuff.  Mr. B's dad assured him the car would make the trip.  Then, getting dinner Saturday night, Mr. B fouled a U-turn into a field and something went CLA-CLUNK under the car.  Mr. B assured me we just hit a rock, but I was sure I felt something break in the wheel well next to my feet on the passenger side.  Then, driving back on Sunday, we make a pit stop and I see Mr. B looking under the car.  Then he's calling his dad.

Then I look under the car.  There's a twisted metal chunk hanging out from under the passenger side front wheel, and something dripping out of the engine.  His dad couldn't identify it (and still can't, beyond the fact that it was some kind of wheel/axle support--we think the clear fluid may have just been condensation of some sort), but told us that if the wheels were turning, it was probably okay.  We made it home.

I'm now hoping that Mr. B will somehow start taking care of problems with his car when they occur instead of waiting until the last possible moment.  (Fat chance, but I can wish.)

Mr. B is now applying for jobs in Maine, and I am finding myself kind of hoping he gets one.  Property is extremely cheap out there because the average yearly income is so low (like 3bed2bath on acreage with a river for 50K cheap).  It would disappointed me to have to leave my job here, but it's nice to dream of running away to a little farmhouse with a library job and time to write.  :)

Alula

No comments: