Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Death of Two Frogs

Just wanted to make a quick mention of the death of not one, but two of my beloved African Clawed Frogs today.  I started with one more than ten years ago and added as time went on, but my first frog, Poe, jumped out of the tank and died about 5 years ago (it was very sad).

Today I went to the tank to find my female, Myre, and my little blind albino male, Essie, stiff and floating.  I initially felt a pang of dread, thinking that if two were dead, something had poisoned the water and they were all dead.  However, the other 3 (Romath, Nementh, and Wirenth) are all alive and well.  It's very bizarre.  There are no markings on the bodies to make me suspect frog-on-frog violence was the issue here, and both frogs were well over a decade old (the other three are the babies of the group, at about 8 years old), but somehow I would find it weird if two spontaneously died of natural causes on the same day.  I guess all I can do is hope that this was the case, and it isn't a communicable disease that will spread to my others.

I am saddened to see these old friends go, though they have had long and spoiled lives.  Essie was always a thin fellow, and I knew he was blind because he never freaked out like the other frogs when I switched the tank light on (he would freak out when one of the other frogs freaked out and swam into him).  Myre, my only frog princess, ruled the roost because she was twice as big as any of the boys.  She produced many offspring in her day, of which there were so many in my teens that I used to adopt out the froglets to friends; I suspect some of them may still be out there.

I am now left trying to decide what to do with the bodies.  They are too big to flush like fish, but somehow I think my husband will think I'm crazy if I try to give them a backyard service at my parent's house.

Alula

No comments: