Friday, December 3, 2010

Oh Baby!

Oh baby!

This is a short narrative of how I remember the most exciting and terrifyong Tuesday of my life to date.

It started out just like any other normal work day, but this day was to be much different. I was scheduled to get out early at (2pm) so I could go have my twenty week ultrasound (I was actually 21 weeks 2 days but wanted to wait for hubby) where we were going to check out my little one to make sure everthing was going great and find out the sex.

The ultrasound was going great, we almost instanly found we were having a healthy baby boy, to which my husband jumped out of his chair and pumped his fist to that news. The tech let me know that after we did the abdominal she was going to do an "internal" one just to double check everything was great. The abdomial lasted another 25 minutes where our boy showed off for the camera while she measured him top to bottom.

Then we were on to the dreaded interal wandy one... during this check the tech was making sure that something she saw on the abdominal one was all in her head. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't. The tech said is a very calm and collected voice, "Hmmm.... that's what I was afraid of... your cervix is just too thin." Then before our eyes she watched my cervix grow longer. It was fluctuating between 8mm and 2.6cm, which is just plain crazy. For a healthy pregnancy they want to see at least 3cm at all times until you approach 36 or so weeks.

The tech went quickly to inform my doctor of her unusual findings, and they gave me a room and an appointment even though the appointment portion of my visit wasn't scheduled till today. My doctor got on the phone with a high risk OB office in Denver and she let me know that I needed to go get a couple stitches to keep my cervix from opening and letting the little guy out.

I was driven to Denver that night and had an emergency operation performed on my cervix to save my pregnancy. The whole night and day were absolutely a blind siding. I'm now on bed reast at least until Tuesday when they can check out the stitches to make sure they are good.

I'll keep you all posted on the status of my stiuation, but until then just hope hard for my mental sake that I won't have to stay in bed until the kid is born.

~Minchkin

No comments: