Thursday, December 9, 2010

Serendipity

So, we are not moving to Montana!  (Both sad and happy for reasons previously discussed.)

Mr. B could not get the potential employer to agree to a salary he wanted--literally a matter of about 5K a year. Plus, my mom had a minor freakout when I told her.  She told me that my brother had been let go from work, and that at the moment he and his wife were both unemployed with 4 kids between them.  My sister was mid-finals and of questionable emotional stability, so she couldn't even think about telling her until finals were over.  My grandmother would miss living across the street from me.

And that was about the point that I realized, I am one of the few points of stability that holds the craziness of my family together right now.  My brother has a habit of springing life changing situations on us without warning.  My sister's emotions are constantly on a roller coaster.  I'm the responsible child who got a spouse and a house and a college education and a successful job; I'm the person my family calls when something important needs to happen, because I can be trusted to check in on Grandma.  I can talk to my sister when she's having "one of those days".  I can watch the nieces and nephews when their parents are having a medical emergency.

Between those two issues--the pay wasn't good enough and our families--we decided not to take the offer.

However, this decision comes with repercussions.  Mr. B was so upset by not being able to settle on the salary and turning down the offer that he said some pretty nasty things about my job, and a minor fight ensued.  He later apologized and admitted that he's just frustrated with life because his job has reneged on career ladder promises.  We had a heart-to-heart about how worried he is about losing his job and neither of us having medical benefits.  About two weeks ago he very sincerely told me he was worried for me and our marriage if I stayed in school because I am a glutton for punishment and tend to overload on courses.

Ultimately, he asked me not to enroll in a PhD program.  Not straight out of two Master's programs, anyways--he said I could go back, but that he really thought I needed some time on the outside.  My parents and Q had each spoken to me separately about this as well (Q, I want to clarify that I am a member of the "real world"--I do real research at a real job that pays real and really good money--but I get what you're trying to say).  So I decided, based on the people who know me best telling me to, that I am putting off the PhD.

Unfortunately, losing my student status means I also lose my job.  So Tuesday night after making this decision, I started applying for jobs online, and was pleased to see there were about 6 in my area right now for academic or research librarians.  I made a mental note to swing through the library at my work to ask if the librarians I know there could introduce me to anyone working at places I was applying to.

I go in to the library Wednesday to talk to a friend there.

Me: (after long-winded explanation...) "...So I am not starting the PhD program in the spring."

Friend: "So you're losing student status."

Me: "Yeah."

Friend:  "Are you looking for a job?"

Me: "Yes."

Friend (raises eyebrows):  "Have you applied here?"

Me (shrugs indifferently):  "Do you have an opening?"

Friend:  "Uh, yeah!"

And less than 24 hours after starting the job search, I have a good shot at a job.  And not just any job, but one that would allow me to keep working where I'm currently working, keep working with my researchers, and keep doing my research while also getting job experience in the library.  It's a win-win-win situation; I'm happy, husband is happy, and work is happy.

I can't help but think that the Universe is just on my side this time.

And someday, I can still complete a PhD.

Alula

2 comments:

Fuzzy said...

I am very glad that everything is looking up! I wish my life was that good looking, it will someday I hope.

Q said...

Alula,

I am sorry if you were hurt my comment about needing to experience the "real world". I totally regretted it as soon as the words left my mouth because it was not what I meant.