Sunday, March 6, 2011

From 0... to 100!!!

As some of you may know, the laptop that I've had for approximately 3 years has been giving up on my for the past 6 months. Luckily, thanks to my family and generous husband I've been able to upgrade form my old Toshiba Satellite to a custom beauty and it all started with this one sleek piece.


Before you is a Black Widow SopranoRS Case from my brother, and the other piece you can view is a Rocketfish 500 Watt ATX gaming power supply (it glows blue!).

Then we have our mother board and CPU. The motherboard is a real beauty, an Asus EVO, complete with artfully crafted blue heat-sinks over many of the capacitors to keep the entire thing running cool as a cucumber. The CPU happens to be an AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4GHz. Processor gets a Windows rating of 7.4 and uses all 4 cores to the max!


Now let's show the last few components. We have a 1TB hard drive (the only piece of this new beast I should have looked into more fully as it pulls my Windows rating down to a sad 5.9), an ATI Radeon 5750 graphics card (Windows rating of 7.2), and an LG 24x DVD drive. The operating system is Windows 7 Home premium, and I had to make sure that I got Office 2010 right away so that I could actually open my files again (2007 was accidentally removed from my laptop when I reformatted it, and I couldn't find my disk).


Munchkin 2 has some amazing power, and shouldn't have to be upgraded for at least a couple of years, unless I want my Windows rating to jump into the 7's with a solid state hard drive. The final pics are of the beautiful monitor I procured courtesy of Craigslist,and the tower lit up for the first time. Just to make it painfully clear to everyone who thought I could play WoW on my old laptop, I most certainly could not. I never realized that you could actually see the rain that everyone spoke of, I thought it was an exercise in imagination. My first time logging into WoW with Munchkin 2 I was swimming with my Goblin in the ocean, and crystal clear raindrops were bouncing off the water around me. It truly was a 0 to 100 moment!


~Munchkin

2 comments:

Death of Houseplants said...

It's a gorgeous piece of computing! And building your own is totally the way to go.

Alula Borealis said...

Raging jealousy. RAGING.

After your baby shower I came home waving my camera LCD screen in front of my husband's face saying "I want one!" He thought I meant a baby and said no. Then he looked at the picture of your new computer and still said no. Then he said he would build it if I got the pieces (and obviously, this effort needs the funding of my as-of-yet-not-found new job). *Sigh*

RAGING JEALOUSY.