Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tastes like victory...

Today I met with my an advisor for the PhD program I'm investigating. She thinks I'm a good fit to apply to the program. I think I'm a good fit for the program. I can apply to start in the Spring because my work offers tuition reimbursement, ahead of the students who are applying for full funding in the Fall.

On the way home, I stopped at the Wendy's where Q and I used to stop at when we picked up dog poop for a living. I got some chicken nuggets and fries and sat in the lot where we used to sit, eating my chicken nuggets and wearing an outfit composed of new cloths I bought for my conference in DC two weeks ago (also comped by my work).

Dog poop. That was my job the last time I ate there, and then I was wearing dirty jeans with winter frozen bells and a sweaty shirt. That was just over a year ago, too. I used to eat chicken nuggets while hauling dog poop in the back of the car. Now may way is paid. I have an income that pays for school, and my husband's school (if he ever applies and gets accepted), and then some. In DC they put me up in a hotel room bigger than my first apartment in college.

I thought about what a difference a year makes. Thank goodness I had faith that things could change, and I had the support system to chase my opportunities down when they presented. Thank goodness for school advisors who forward job listings and employers who recognize potential. Thank goodness for friends who believe in me.

For any of you out there still waiting, just remember that it can happen. Things can change drastically, very quickly. Just hang in there.

Alula

No comments: