Monday, January 17, 2011

DecalGirl: Winter Sparkle on the LG Vortex

A couple of days ago I received the decals that I ordered from DecalGirl.  Some people reported unusually fast shipping online; mine took about 10 days to arrive, and both of the decals I ordered arrived in the same shipment (one for the Nook and one for the LG Vortex).  The skins each arrived on a simple one piece sticker sheet and were well packaged with a "Do Not Bend or Fold" warning on the outside of the shipment envelope.

I was a little dubious about the application of these stickers to my expensive electronics, but after reading some reviews online I learned that they can be removed without leaving a residue on the device.  That said, I was worried about ruining my fancy stickers by mis-applying and then needing to peel them back up; figuring I might need to reorder, I started with the cheaper of the two I ordered, and applied the Winter Sparkle for LG Vortex skin first.

N.B., apply any screen protectors you want on your phone BEFORE applying the skin, as the skin will lay over the screen protector.  Also, try to be sure you're happy with the application of the screen protector--if you're the kind of person that those bubbles will annoy, get rid of them now, because they will be all the more difficult to get rid of when you're trying to squeeze them out from under the layer of screen protector and the added layer of skin.

The stickers peeled off the sheet easily, and I was a little surprised that the back side of the "sticker" decal didn't feel much like a sticker at all--it was tacky and adhesive, but not hyper sticky.  When placed on the device, the peeled decal would kind of sit on top until pressed down, and then it would stick.  This "doesn't stick until pressed" property made the positioning of the decal very easy to do, because I could move it around until I was happy with the positioning.  One would think that this quasi-stick property would mean the decal wouldn't adhere well after the fact, but I can say with confidence that the decal is now on and is staying put until I try to peel it off again.  Another property of the decal that surprised me was the elasticity of it--with a normal sticker, a sort of "bunching" of the material can occur at rounded edges on the device.  These decals can kind of be worked and stretched so that bunching around the edges does not occur, and the decal fits the device very closely.  Also, upon investigation, the sticker also has some channels drawn into the adhesive underside--these allow trapped air to be pushed out after application to reduce bubbles under the design.

The price was very reasonable, and the functional and aesthetic design of the product is magnificent.  I am very pleased, and will likely buy from this company again.

 The front of the phone--notice how tightly the button holes fit to the buttons on the device.
 The back of the phone--notice those well-contoured edges!
Front of the phone with the downloadable background--notice my cat watching you intently!  I was a little afraid that the background image might be a smidge off from the decal, and the mismatched edges would annoy my obsessive compulsive tendencies too much.  However, the download fit to the edges off the sticker decal amazingly well, and the colors match darn well perfect despite the company caveat that the LCD screen colors might vary depending on the device.  The overall presentation is very slick!

I'll send more pictures when I get my Nook decal installed.

Alula

No comments: