Wednesday, October 21, 2009

School, Weight, and Sleeping Computers

I'm exhausted. And I have a hyper-involved group for one of my group projects. This is not a bad thing, but good god, my email and our group page is going to explode. I am taking a break.

And I have officially given up on dieting. I suck at it. I sit on my widening butt for 8 hours every day because of my job, and cutting calories has never given me more than 2 pounds of weight loss. So I am finally admitting defeat--I caved and spent the money for a 20-punch pass to the local rec center today. I'm going to try a 5-week experiment where I go for four 1-hour days every week.

I am effectively instituting a gym period in my life. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Today, one of my coworkers (an older-than-me woman who is also in my MLS program) called me from home to say she was really worried about her computer because it had crashed again. Now, she's not the most technically apt of people--the last few times she's called me regarding computer problems were because she was worried someone had "hacked" her when her computer started doing automatic updates, and once when her computer would not turn on (result of dead battery). This time, she informed me, she was sure she had done it in--she had accidentally hit "logout" instead off "power off" and the computer "seemed to be stuck--the lights are all on but the screen is blank and it's not turning on or off!"

Well, my goodness! I calmly explained the sleep and hibernate functions of laptops to her and told her to hold down the power button until the laptop shut down, and then to reboot it like normal.

And she was very grateful--she once paid a certain highway robbery group of technically oriented people dressed like a '90s stereotype and run by a large electronics store more than $150 to fix a problem like this.

It's nice to be appreciated. It's nice to help. It's also nice to look at people my parents' age and think how cute they are, and not mean that in a demeaning or derogatory way--computers are confusing to people who don't use them often, and sometimes I forget that.

Alula

No comments: