Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oh irony, my old nemesis...


Well, I had an appointment with my linguistics program advisor this afternoon. She informed that (guess what?) some of the stuff I did as an undergrad counts towards my MA. So, while I've been under the impression that I had 5 more classes to go before graduation was possible, I actually only have 3. So in theory, I could have this MA by next spring if I can finance it.

And since I officially got into my MLS program, I am officially 30K in the hole over the next three years. Yes, you here me correctly, I was burned out on my Ling because I thought I had one more semester than I actually did, so I signed up to put myself in a metric buttload more of school and debt. Irony's a bastard, my friends.

Wanna here some other stuff about irony? The advisor I spoke to today informs me that the "strict" 4 year limit advertised by the graduate school actually isn't. Swear to God she looked right at me and basically said "deadline, schmeadline--if you need more time I'll push through an extension for you."

Yes, really. Ask and you shall receive.

Oh, and the paper I'm currently supposed to be writing because it's due on the 15th and I'm supposed to present my research in class 9am tomorrow but I'm avoiding it by writing this post instead?--The class executed a mutiny. I got this email late last night from my professor saying someone approached her and said there was a general consensus in the class that 15 pages single spaced was too large a workload. Now, I don't know who the pansy is that thinks 15 pages (including diagrams and references) is too much for a graduate level term paper, but the professor decided to shorten the paper to "whatever we feel is appropriate" and extend the dealine 2 days.

Yes, really. I'm still freaking out, though, because I still have no time to do any of it (except for this evening and tomorrow afternoon, basically--then Mr. B is back in town and will require my attention because he gets jealous every time I have to do anything of importance).

I'm also fat and dissatisfied with my work. Thought I'd throw that in for good measure. Oh, and I haven't had a period in 6 weeks. Go me.

But the basic plan is as follows: I am taking a semester off of Ling. My advisor has approved this, as she understands I need a full time job for at least that long to build up the financial basis to complete my schooling. So, I will start the MLS in January and plug away at that and a full time job until August, when I reassess my finances and decide if I need an extra semester off from Ling. Hopefully I will not, and I will complete my MA in Ling in Spring of 2010. Then I can full-time it until I'm out of the MLS in summer/fall of 2011.

PS the tea shop is still on, email me if you have any epiphanies on names.

Happy Holiday Freak Out,

Alula

1 comment:

Munchkin said...

I'm very very jealous of your 6 weeks of no period. I've had essentially 2 full weeks of one between spotting... changing birth control and bleeding for ten of the 14 days. I'm having an extra period just for you Alula.