Sunday, February 10, 2008

Adventures in the Kitchen

I seem to be following the steps of out domestic ancestors the house wife. Don't get me wrong ladies, I will be one of the first to stand up on a soap box and chatter on for hours about equality. I will also ream a man for telling me I would not understand because I am a woman. Still I find me self rather enjoying the thrill of cooking for guests and Mr.Q. Being young and not schooled in the art of cooking I find myself more often than not faking it! At Christmas I was baking cookies and messed up the recipe rather than tossing it out; I boldly trudged though the batter adding for flower then eggs and what ever I could think of, till it looked like Chocolate Chips. As fate would have it, it worked but I was left with a double batch of cookies. Darn!

The other day however I was attempting to make Pineapple Upside Down Cake for the very first time! Its a trick ladies, after the cake is done you have to flip it onto a board and remove the baking pan. This went off with out a hitch as I was aided by the assistance of Alula. However this was a Birthday cake for Mr. Q and I was eager to have it ready and waiting for him when he came home from picking up the Bacon. He came home right after we flipped it. I greeted him and put the Bacon in the fridge; and with out a thought Alula and I started putting the candles in the cake so we could set it on fire! (you know cause he is getting so old...giggle) As we are counting out the candles I confess that I once found myself eating birthday candles as a child. Not licking them, eating them. How do children ever survive? About minute in the candles start to go all cati-wampums. "Well that strange I think to myself" I pull out one of the candles to put it back in upright; half of the candle is gone just the string remands! Eeg-gads, Alula and I stuck wax candles in a hot cake!


So I think it goes with out saying the item to be learned in this story is to bake earlier in the day so your sure to be able to re-bake before anyone sees your mistakes.

I want you to know we ate the cake. It had some pretty colors in it from the candles and we kinda ate around the wax.

2 comments:

Alula Borealis said...

Just for the record, I didn't eat around the wax. I've probably eaten around a pound of candle wax over the years just from birthday cake drippings; hasn't harmed me yet, to my knowledge.
>twitch, twitch<
But really, I think it really added to the cake--interesting food texture, candle wax.

Q said...

Ok we may not have eaten around the wax...