Monday, February 18, 2008

Valentine's Day

Hey ladies. I meant to post this on February 15, but was away from the internet. Pictures forthcoming, here it is:

Forgot to weigh myself this morning, but I’m betting I put on from Valentine’s.

The day after Valentine’s Day—it ranked better than last year, that’s for sure. Last February both of our rats died, one on February 4th and the other ten days later on Valentine’s; oddly they died of completely unrelated things, with Kate going by what was either a stroke or a brain tumor that reached critical mass and Emma then succumbing to the issues she’d had with her lungs her whole life. It’s odd how animals can attach to each other like that; so many times I felt that the only thing keeping poor little wheezy Emma going was Kate and her spunky attitude.

It’s like old people and the way they seem to just go for no reason when their life partner passes. I don’t think it’s sad, though, because it’s kind of like passing gently; like your life’s mission is over, and now you can peaceably move on to whatever’s next with your loved one.

But on a happier note, we’ve had our new rat babies, Clover and Lexis, for just over a year now, and the four of us had a lovely Valentine’s Day. I was on campus for most of it, but came home to Mr. Borealis cooking dinner. I think it’s the only time in the six-year history of our relationship he has actually “cooked” dinner for me; he made spaghetti, the only fancy thing I think he knows how to cook. He set up the table with a bunch of mismatched candles, candy and flowers; it was very cute. Even romantic by our standards. He even bought sparkling cider and turned the dimmer down on the chandelier.

He got me an orchid (I love growing things) and a really nice vase. It was really sweet of him, especially given that Mr. Borealis generally doesn’t do holidays—it’s an illness prevalent throughout his family.

I’m feeling a little sick today; possibly due to all of those beautiful flowers. I’m allergic to every pollen and dander on the planet, but it’s not going to stop me from enjoying the flowers and snuggling my rat babies. I’m feeling the crave for some potato chips to get an energy boost, but hoping I can make it through the day without.

Alula

No comments: