Saturday, July 12, 2008

Question- Mainly for Q...

('cause I know the rest of you don't cook :P)

I'm trying to make that chicken asparagus cheese thing. How do I cook it so that the cheese doesn't melt out? I was thinking of foil boats for them, but that won't work with the asparagus. My current thought is to just cook the chicken and the cheese in the oven (making little cheese filled chicken pop-overs) and doing the asparagus on the stove and just plating them together. My mom suggested to do the chicken and asparagus in the oven and just melt the cheese over the top, but that would dry out the asparagus too much, I think.

In desperate need of cooking expertise,
~DoHP

4 comments:

Alula Borealis said...

Ahem,

Who doesn't cook?

The main question is whether or not your chicken breasts are skin on or off. If skin on, cut the kin partly away without removing it and then slit the breast beneath the skin--then after your asparagus and cheese are inserted, pull the skin back over and fix in place using toothpicks (I use a similar tactic to moisten turkeys--I'll photograph next time).

If the breasts are skinless, I recommend cooking in close confinement--find the smallest dish you can and cram the suckers in there. That way WHEN (not if!) the cheese melts out, it's all still around the chicken and keeping things moist (some, of course, will remain inside the breast--remember cooking is an art and not a science, and will hence be gooey at times).

Also, I wish to provide a disclaimer that these methods are my own and have no affiliation with the master tactics of Q.

:)
Happy Mess Making,
Alula

Q said...

a gees! *blush*
You could put the cheese on top just make sure you have foil over the chicken. That should keep things moist unless you leave it in too long. remember there was sour cream inside the chicken too! I'm sure you do not have to have it but if something is missing... I think when we made it we just packet so much cheese in there that if something ran out it was no big deal.
(does my reply sound dirty?)

Death of Houseplants said...

alula- I seem to remember you burning everything you put in an oven for the longest time. Glad you got better at it though. Baking is totally a science though.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the foil boats, and maybe even grill them all wrapped up in foil. I also forgot about the sour cream.

Next time though, I'm totally making cheese/asparagus filled pop overs (cut everything up pretty small and wrap it up in a hammered chicken breast)

Q said...

have you ever tried going it casserole style?

cut every thing up and toss it in a baking pan. Its just way to easy!