Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Not in my America.

Hey guys, I know this is a hot topic lately. I'm not sending this to any of you because I think you promote this behavior. I just saw it and needed to vent my frustrations with current events.

This video is a social experiment about gangs targeting Latino immigrants; of the 99 people that walked past three thugs beating a Latino man on the street (as they are shouting, because he doesn't speak English) 67 did nothing. The experiment was based on actual events where Latinos have been targeted and beaten to death on the streets.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7107987

Let's all not be the 67 people who think this okay enough to not do a damn thing. Words are powerful. Don't promote messages of hate. This type of thing starts being okay when people talk about how much they hate "illegal wetback immigrants." Even if I can't change any minds, I'm not going to sit by and let people say things like this around me anymore, and hopefully not around anyone ignorant enough to pick up a baseball bat and "do something about it." I'm not saying people can't voice their frustration with the problem we are currently facing with illegal immigration in this country; I'm saying we need to stop the racial slurs and believing it's okay for someone to get beaten to death in the streets of America for not being a rightful citizen. We go all over the world stopping human rights violations because we are the United States; let's stop these violations here, too.

It's not okay with me that this is happening today. Our country has enough experience battling hate crimes that we should know them when we see them and realize that they're wrong.

Alula

2 comments:

Death of Houseplants said...

I haven't read the whole story yet (on my phone) but it is a sociological phenenomenon (that word is difficult to stop spelling :p) that if people think that someone else will help, they won't. I wonder how much of the results are from that.

Munchkin said...

That is an interesting remark. I think more of this "hate" probably comes from the economic stress felt by all the people of our country.