Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Insanity!

Today, I was eating lunch and reading the newspaper. This is fairly normal. But I decided to read the health section. I probably should read it more often, as I know any recipes that are in there will eventually show up on the dinner table. My mom is on a health kick. All the bread in the house is whole wheat, which I normally don't mind, but this isn't the whole wheat that has a bit of a crunch to it, it's just really dense and tastes like bleh, and doesn't toast right. And I came down stairs this morning and saw, sitting on the stove (because apparently we have no where else to put things) a plate with raisins on it. That were soaking in wine. Because it is a folk remedy for some joint condition or another. And my sister is not allowed to drink anything without added calcium. (But she is using this as an excuse to eat lots of extra cheese, so my sister is smart.) All the noodles are whole wheat too, and we don't buy normal size bags of regular flour anymore. Forget that baking is a subtle chemistry, it must be made with whole wheat flour, and turn into a hockey puck.

But what really ticked me off in the newspaper was a small Q&A about having a high deductible when it comes to prescription drugs and what someone can do to save money at the pharmacy. The drugs were Flovent inhaler, Nasonex, Avodart, Nexium, and Ambien (I'm guessing CR). Now plain Ambien comes in a generic that is a lot cheaper (and you still take just once a night), Nexium is the active isomer of Prilosec (which happens to be OTC, and generic!), there are about 3 different types of generic inhalers this guy could have tried before the Flovent, and it mentions nothing about trying the generic for Flonase before going straight to the Nasonex. Now the answer mentions nothing about talking to his pharmacist about getting switched to generics, or talking to his doctor about the costs and getting switched to generics in the same class. The answer was: send off for an information brochure about using a Canadian Pharmacy. It just ticked me off. Because that's the option of last resort. Really.

But the pasta salad recipe looked pretty good.

1 comment:

Alula Borealis said...

Hehe. It sounds like your mom cooks the crap I'm allowed to eat anymore. I gained back 2 lbs because I stopped starving myself. And right now I'm on school insurance and my prescription prices are so awesome I just about kissed the pharmacist. It was under $30 total for both my pain meds and my birth control (SWEET!).