Monday, March 31, 2008

New Cubicle!

Alaska--a few years ago on a family vacation.

My boss sent an email last Friday that we were selling off all the cubicles. I was dreading the loss of mine (even though, as previously discussed, it was the 'sitting duck' cubicle) because I thought the new situation would be me and my coworkers all sitting in desks staring at each other all day. Lack of privacy disturbs me, and looking up while you're working diligently to find one of your coworkers staring at you as they take a mental break--even if they aren't consciously meaning to--can be a little weird.

But anyways, that's not what ended up happening. I now have a real desk partitioned off by those movable wall things, and I even have a window (sort of) to look out of! It's awesome--I can now face my partition opening as I work so people don't sneak up on me as they did before. I bet my concentration improves tenfold with this new arrangement.

Outside of work, however, I'm feeling more stress than ever. Last week was spring break and I meant to do a lot of school work, but I wound up doing a lot of work work instead, so now I'm uber behind with the semester drawing to a close and Q's wedding two and a half weeks away. I don't want to have to ask for the time off from work, but if I screw up this semester they could boot me from the program.

The stress is starting to get to me. Last night I laid awake thinking about what a terrible person I am because I live across the street from my grandmother and a mile and a half from my parents and siblings, and I didn't visit any of them over spring break because I was so busy with work in the office and at home. I'm having really uncomfortable dreams when I do sleep; last night I dreamed Mr. Borealis and I were trying to relax at some sort of outdoor spa place and we got into a hot tub. Except the water was freezing cold and really muddy, and then the weather turned stormy and windy (which I usually enjoy, except in the dream I was just really cold and miserable). Yeah--talk about my subconscious trying to tell me something!
Alula

No comments: