Thursday, March 20, 2008

Meditations on Grad School

I give this advice whole heartedly to the rest of you: if you can avoid it, don't go to grad school. Sure, go to college if you happen to feel the need and have the means to do so, but for goodness sake, any degree higher than a B.A. is for snobs.

I go to grad school. I'm getting a Master's in Linguistics. And for the most part, it's all good--friendly people. Snobby, but friendly. Especially in the B.A. realm (maybe not so much in the B.S. realm). It's a college town so reality kind of levitates around us already, but to sum up my major, a professor once said (in all seriousness, in front of a whole class of grad students) "No one gets into Linguistics for the jobs."

I, of course, am in it for the job. I am employed as a linguist right now, getting my degree to further my career. And I am surrounded by rich kids pursuing the degree for kicks. Of course, there are many careers in linguistics and related fields available, but I have met one too many twenty or thirty-somethings who claim this is their second, third, or moreth Master's degree to understand that the field is far from having the respect it deserves. It is, in fact, viewed as an exotic degree, I think--one more that people can tag onto their list at the next cocktail party to impress their peers because no one knows what the heck it is. Okay, I'm done whining now.

Mr. Borealis wants Q and I to open our gamer's tea shop, as of yet unnamed. And he's serious--like go-out-and-get-a-small-business-loan-and-do-it serious. And I think I'm getting serious, too. If the details haven't trickled back to the rest of you by now, Q and I have casually dreamed up a tea shop with tea leaf readings, gaming food, used books for sale, all manner of gamer memorabilia and supply for rent or sale, rentable D&D rooms, etc. that we want to open. It's basically a hang out for all the little nerdies like us in high school. I've figured I need to raise about 100K in the next three years to do it without a loan, but what the heck, we'll see, right? If anyone wants in, now is the time to start saving for your share of the business!

And speaking of Mr. Borealis, he's looking for this site now, Ladies. I've told him no actual names are used, so I doubt he'll find it, but just to let you know--Q, use evasive tactics if he starts fishing you for information.

Gotta Buck?
Alula

3 comments:

Death of Houseplants said...

You do know that I will be out there in 3 hours if you do start the store to help you run it? (Or three days if I bring my stuff)

I'd be more than willing to run the gaming aspect of it, and even get some wargaming going. Some comics may be a good idea, but maybe not, as that would bring in a different type of geek.

Seriously. I want to be involved.

Does pharmacy school count in your grad school rant? Because the more I think about it the more I want to do it. Well maybe once I check out what other options there are to being a retail pharmacist (I hear hospital jobs are quite nice ((you actually get a lunch break!)) and are more clinically oriented than retail)

Q said...

What? Mr. Borealis we have a web sight? Well no one told me or Alula about it!
I swear is no place sacred for our creative minds?

As for our tea store I would really like to do it with out taking out a loan. and Alula needs to finish school first!

Alula Borealis said...

I poo poo on grad school. I want a tea house for nerds!