Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bad Luck

The darn squirrels are at it again! This one has figured out that if he hangs by his very tippy toes from the wall fixture, he's just long enough to get at the food in the bird feeder.

Well, it was one of THOSE days today!

Q, if you read this, the bag of dried foliage on top of your television stand is mine for making fairies.

Woke up today and watered my plants with the handy new hose and nozzle sprayer attachment my mom donated to me. Then went inside and got out my rats to play on the couch. I set them up with some new boxes and towels to play in, and set about the work of eating lunch, watching a movie, and making fairies.

Then I notice Clover (our black hooded rat) isn't acting right. She's crawling away under the towels and acting tired and weak, and every so often her tiny body seems to convulse. Before freaking out I think that maybe she's just tired, which is rare for play time but not unheard of; then the vomiting starts.

Now, I had read some years ago that rats can't vomit. I don't know where I read this, but I distinctly remember reading an article on how the lack of ability of rats to vomit is why they are so susceptible to poisoning. Well, either that article was wrong, or my rat has evolved. She vomited. And vomited. And vomited. And every time, she tried to force it back down her throat to get rid of it, so for three hours I sat there and swabbed out my rat's mouth to clear whatever her body was rejecting, and then she took a long nap, and now she's fine. Turns out she'd nibbled off some of the foil lining on a food box I'd given them to play in--they'd used this kind of box before without issue, but I guess rats change, and this box is now on the banned toy list in our house.

So after seeing my baby is okay, and cleaning up the mess of vomit strewn towels, I go back out to hit my plants for an afternoon watering. Guess what? I forgot to turn the hose off the first time I was out, and the hose burst from the pressure of water not being able to release from the closed nozzle. So my courtyard was flooded about 4 inches deep. Again, this was a pain, and I worried a little about the damage to the foundation, but it was such a hot day that all the water had either drained or evaporated in about 2 hours.

Three cheers for rat vomit,
Alula

No comments: