Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Past Perks

Okay, so reading your posts inspired me to share my own reason for picking the topic. Consider this in lieu of individual comments.

Back when I worked at a certain local water park, I got free entry and ten free tickets a season to pass out to friends. I also got half off of all of my food and merchandise purchases (Munchkin, this perk rocks like no other). I learned way more than I ever needed to know about the mechanical workings of the rides, and now I know all of the radio codes and which areas to avoid when there is a resulting "code brown". DoHP, I read you on the window/outdoor thing and the exercise--there was also a bunch of 90 degree vertical ladders for the ride I operated and I had to haul my butt up and down them 100 times a day so I was in fantastic shape. I also have zero fear of heights now thanks to tower 5 and the switch we thought broke in it (turned out to be a short in the wire--huge pain in the butt to fix). Paid okay, but also gave a season end bonus that rocked my socks.

Every time it rained, whoever was operating the ride was supposed to climb up top on an exposed metal platform to shut down the computer; we were told it was safe to do so even in lightning storms because of the lightning rods they had installed to prevent hits. I performed this operation countless times while I worked there, and because it's about the tallest thing in the park you could see forever from up there, and with lightning hitting all around you it was really something. Then one summer we came back and found the computer fried and melted--turned out lightning hits it after all!

So the ultimate perk is knowing that if God had wanted to strike me down with lightning, it already would have happened.

I'm hoping for benefits at the new job too ;)

Alula

No comments: